TERMS & CONDITIONS – Chapeau Events Ltd
Section A – General Conditions for Sportive & Multi Day Cycling and Trekking Events in both UK & Europe
The Terms & Conditions detailed in this section apply to all cyclists and/or Trekkers participating in any event organised and operated by Chapeau Events Ltd (the Company, we‚ our‚ or us). These terms & Conditions, in this section only, also apply to any cyclist and/or Trekkers participating in any Event whereby a 3rd Party Company or Charity has commissioned our services to support the 3rd Parties individual bespoke event.
You (the Participant, Cyclist, Trekker, they, or their) accept that the event you are entering is not a race in any format.
- You are fully responsible for your actions whilst attending the event. This includes the event start and finish, and during the ride or trek itself. Chapeau Events Ltd do not accept responsibility for the actions of any participant, nor the consequences of such actions.
- Upon submitting the Event Registration Form or payment of the Registration Fee, you agree that you are physically and mentally capable of riding/walking the distance you have chosen. If during the event, you decide to change the route and distance, then all consequences of this action are your own.
- The Event Registration Form or Payment of the event Registration Fee must be completed by a person aged 18 years or over. Evidence of age may be requested. Participants under the age of 18 years may be allowed to participate in UK events only with the consent of their parent or legal guardian who must complete the Event Registration Form on behalf of the underage rider. This is also an acceptance for the actions and consequences of the underage rider. Under 18’s need to be accompanied at all times by an adult who is responsible for them. Under 18’s are not permitted to participate in any of our European Multi Day Events without prior permission from Chapeau Events Ltd in the first instance.
- You accept full responsibility for any fees or costs incurred or arising from the need for repatriation for events outside of the UK.
- It is mandatory that all cyclists wear a safety-approved cycling helmet complying with latest British standards. Any rider not wearing a helmet will not be permitted to participate. You must accept this as a condition of entry. Chapeau Events Ltd reserve the right to refuse entry to the event to anyone with inappropriate equipment or clothing.
- You confirm that, if on our cycle events, the cycle/bike you are riding for the event and all of your equipment is of a suitable standard and state of roadworthiness.
- All routes are fully tested and risk assessed before the event begins, however any marked route is shown for guidance only and Chapeau Events Ltd do not insist that you use the route shown. Therefore, if you choose to ride or trek a section, it is entirely your own choice. If you choose a different route to avoid obstacles or sections you decide are beyond your capabilities, then you do so entirely at your own risk.
- If you are part of our cycle events, you must obey all Highway Code rules whether in UK or Europe. As a guide, you are requested to ride in single file where appropriate and no more than 2 (two) abreast at any time. Please be aware of your fellow cyclists, other road users, and any other traffic. Please always indicate your intention to stop or change direction. You must adhere to and obey the Highway Code, local bylaws and laws of England, Scotland, Wales, N. Ireland and European countries where applicable and extend all reasonable courtesy to other road users.
- Chapeau Events Ltd reserves the right to shorten or alter the published route at any time. In this instance, you do not have the right to claim a refund if the route is shortened or altered.
- You must be considerate to other users, whether cycling or trekking, such as bridleways, cycle lanes, byways and public ways. Upon seeing other users, such as horse riders, walkers, farm traffic, and other cyclists, etc. you are required to slow down if cycling and pass with care. Where appropriate, you should stop and wait at the side of the route for other users such as horse riders, etc. to pass safely.
- You will be fully responsible for any fees or costs incurred or arising from an accident either involving or caused by your actions. This includes, but is not exclusive to, fees from Police, Air Ambulance, Fire and Rescue and the Ambulance service. If the situation arises that you are not capable of making the decision to call the emergency services, you agree that a member Chapeau Events Ltd or 3rd Parties contracted to the Event, or a member of the public may call on your behalf. In this situation, you still accept the costs and consequences of such actions.
- If you have given us ticked consent on the Registration Form under Data Protection for use of Photographs, you consent to us using any photographs/film/video tapes/electronic representations and/or sound recordings taken of you on any of our events without charge in all media at any point in time; for example, but not restricted to, for use on our website, social media, brochures and videos. You are hereby authorising the reproduction, sale, copyright, exhibit, broadcast, electronic storage and/or distribution of said photographs/film/video tapes/electronic representations and/or sound recordings without limitation at the discretion Chapeau Events Ltd. You are specifically waiving any right to any compensation you may have for appearing in any of the photographs/film/video/electronic representations and/or sound recordings of you at Chapeau Events Ltd.
- When participating in our sportive or cycle events, and in the event that you fail to complete the course for any reason, you agree to return to or call the event control before the close of the event and report to a member of staff. Not doing so will mean that a search may be organised and you may be liable for any subsequent cost.
- Registration Fees cannot be refunded or transferred under any circumstances as these fees are separate to the event cost and are used to reccie/plan the event whether the event goes ahead or not.
- Chapeau Events Ltd reserves the right to cancel or cut short at any time during the event, due to extreme weather conditions of Force Majeure. No refunds will be made in this instance but depending on the circumstances we may be able to transfer you to another similar event.
- Participation in the event is at your own risk.
- You are expected not to drop or leave any litter on any part of the route and to dispose of it responsibly at an appropriate place or bin. If you are found littering will be asked to leave the event
- You are expected to respect the roads, villages and countryside that the events travel through. It should be remembered that this is both a working landscape and home to many communities. If you stop for a comfort break you are asked to do so discretely and appropriately and not to cause any offence to local residents or other riders or trekkers.
Sections 20,21 & 22 apply to cycle events only.
- If you wish to use an e-bike at one of our events, you are welcome to do so provided the e-bike is fully compliant with UK law, e.g. no “chipped” or overpowered e-bikes. These are considered illegal in the UK and are not allowed at any of our events in the UK or Europe.
- Flat e-bike batteries mid-ride are not genuine event mechanical issues, rather the predictable outcome of poor planning. As organisers, we are duty bound to prioritise our resources to deal with genuine first-aid and genuine mechanical issues. If you have a flat e-bike battery, you are requested to make your own way to the nearest event Water Station. It should be noted that the organisers may have to wait until the event is finished and/or there are spare resources to facilitate a pick up from these locations. It is therefore suggested that e-bike cyclists are 1) familiar with their bikes battery range, and 2) either carry a charged spare battery with you or stash a spare battery at a suitable point on the route in advance.
- E-bike cyclists agree to ride legally, appropriately and considerately at all times.
Section B – Specific Conditions for all UK & European Multi Day Cycling & Trekking Events
In addition, section A above, the Terms & Conditions detailed in this section B also applies to all cyclists and/or trekkers participating in any event organised and operated by Chapeau Events Ltd (the Company, we‚ our‚ or us) and do not apply to 3rd Party commissioned Events.
Booking an Event
1.1. Prior to making a booking please read the information regarding your event on the ‘Upcoming Events’ page on our website and both sections A and B of these Terms & Conditions. If you have any questions please contact us to clarify any matters. It is advised that you print these terms and conditions and retain a copy for your personal records.
1.2. To make a booking you are required to send us, a completed registration form, medical form (*) plus a non- refundable Registration Fee for each person (see section 2 ‘Non-Refundable Registration Fee’ for further details). We will treat each Registration Form submitted as an offer by you to purchase a place on the event in accordance with these terms and conditions. We will acknowledge receipt of your booking by email. If you notice any problems or errors associated with your booking on this email, please contact us at email@example.com to make any corrections. A contract will only be in place between us (all persons named on the registration form) once your Registration Fee has been cleared and we have confirmed this with you. The date on the confirmation will be the date the contract is made.
1.3. The remainder of your event must be paid no later than 6 weeks before the departure date for UK events and 8 weeks before the departure date for European events. We will notify you 2 weeks before these deadlines for the remainder of the cost. If you book less than 10 weeks before your event we require full payment to be made on booking. If the balance is not paid in time we reserve the right to cancel your event and will apply the cancellation charges outlined below.
- Non-Refundable Registration Fee
Your registration fee (as stated on your individual event details) is a non-refundable fee covering the administrative, planning, booking and research costs associated with building and delivering your event, which is incurred prior to and in processing your booking. This fee is separate to the Event Payment Fee, which is for the cost of you to participate on the actual event.
- Cancellation by you
3.1. If you wish to cancel your event, the lead person on the registration form (and to whom the confirmation email has been sent) must notify us by email (firstname.lastname@example.org). You will be liable for the following cancellation charges:
3.1.1. If you cancel your event 10 weeks or more before the start date of your event any balance you have paid at this point over and above your registration fee will be refunded. Your registration fee will not be refunded as per Section 2 – Non-Refundable Registration Fee.
3.1.2. If you cancel your event between 8 and 10 weeks before the start date of your event (between 6 and 8 weeks for a UK Event) any balance you have paid at this point over and above your registration fee will be refunded, less £50 for administrative costs. Your registration fee will not be refunded as per Section 2 – Non- Refundable Registration Fee.
3.1.3. If you cancel your event within 8 weeks of the start date of your event (within 6 weeks for a UK Event), neither your deposit nor your event balance will be refunded. However, we will endeavour to fill your place/s and facilitate a refund of your event balance (excluding your registration fee) where possible.
3.2. If Chapeau Events Ltd requires a lesser amount than set out in 3.1.1, 3.1.2 & 3.1.3 above to cover our reasonable costs and losses caused by the cancellation, we may at our discretion charge you that lesser sum.
3.3. Chapeau Events Ltd shall take all reasonable steps to keep our costs and losses to a minimum.
- Cancellation and changes to your event by Chapeau Events Ltd
4.1. We may cancel or make changes to your event due to (but not limited to) the following circumstances:
4.1.1. Where circumstances beyond our reasonable control arise – for example, threatened or actual war, civil or political unrest, riots, terrorist activity, natural or nuclear disaster, adverse weather conditions, disease, pandemics, fire or technical problems arise with transport; and/or
4.1.2. The minimum number of people needed to participate in one of our events has not been met. We will advise you of this no later than 10 weeks prior to the start date of your event.
4.2. If we cancel or change your event in either of the circumstances described above, we will endeavour to offer you an alternative event, where possible. If we replace your event with one that is of lower value, we will refund you the difference in cost. If this is not acceptable to you we will refund all payments made to us in respect of your event but not the non-refundable registration fee detailed in section 2 above as this cost is incurred during the preparation of the event and not the event itself. We will not offer any refunds with respect to insurance premiums you may have taken out with any third parties.
4.3. Before requesting or accepting a refund from Chapeau Events Ltd, you should utilise your insurance cover. Please refer to condition 6 below relating to insurance.
- Cancellation and changes to your event by you
5.1. If any person in your group is unable to travel, and you wish to transfer the event onto another person, you must notify us at least 10 weeks before the start date of your event
5.2. Transfers will only be granted where possible and subject to the other person satisfying the conditions applicable to the event and a £50 payment to Chapeau Events Ltd to cover administrative costs.
5.3. Both persons must accept joint and several liabilities for the full payment of the event price including any charges and additional costs we incur for confirming the transfer
- Insurance policies
6.1. All persons who participate in our European multi day events must take out sufficient insurance to cover the loss or damage of baggage, all equipment (including, but not limited to, bicycles, helmets, trekking equipment and electronic equipment such as personal navigation devices whether hired or otherwise). Insurance should also cover medical expenses and any repatriation costs if you become too ill to continue with your event. We strongly recommend you take out insurance for UK events too.
6.2. We recommend that you purchase insurance specifically designed to cover the type of activity that we offer and to the specific destinations you will be travelling to. Any claims associated with matters for which you are insured must be directed to your insurers. It is your responsibility to ensure you arrive at the start of the Chapeau event within a reasonable time to commence the start of the journey, as we cannot refund you outside the terms of our Terms and Conditions. We do not include flights in any of our events, therefore if you have booked flights independently, we advise that you arrange insurance to cover any costs incurred if we are forced to cancel or change your event (see condition 4) or if your airline cancels your flight and you are unable to make it to the start of your event.
- Our prices
7.1. Chapeau Events Ltd operates under the Tour Operators Margin Scheme (TOMS) for VAT purposes.
7.2. Any prices quoted on our website, social media, on any literature or otherwise are a guide only and are subject to change at any point until the final contract has been made between us. After the contract has been made between us we have the right to increase the price of the event where the cost to us of providing you with the event increases due any duties, surcharges or fees levied on your event;
7.3. We will not make any such increase to the basic cost of your event within 10 weeks of your event start date. We will also absorb all such increases where they amount to less than 10% of the total cost of your event. These provisions exclude cancellation charges.
- Cycling & Trekking Events
8.1. When booking your event with Chapeau Events Ltd, you accept the booking on the understanding that:
8.1.1. There are risks and dangers involved in these types of events, including the dangers of on and off-road cycling and trekking at altitude, other activities you may get involved with on our events, the dangers of travelling to a foreign country, particularly to countries that are less developed or subject to political instability. You also accept that there are inherent risks and hazards of such an event, and any other risks (not limited to) poor road conditions, border restrictions, natural or nuclear disaster, disease, extreme weather, terrorism, fire; and civil or political unrest, and;
8.1.2. There is a possibility that other matters may occur, such as delays, loss or damage to belongings, inconvenience and discomfort and changes to your itinerary.
8.1.3 By registering on these events, you are understanding these risks and participate at your own consequence.
8.2. Before travelling you should make yourself aware of any travel advice from the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office. //www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice and you should ensure that you have researched and made a considered decision to travel to the country/s on your event. You must also take any necessary precautions required to travel to a particular country.
8.3. With an event of this kind, there is a need to exercise some flexibility. The cycling and trekking routes and itineraries have been drawn up as guidance and not as a contractual obligation and if delays or changes need to be made by Chapeau Events Ltd, you must be prepared for this and to accept any inconvenience, delays or discomfort that occur as a result of this.
8.4. On each one of our events there will be a crew leader. He/she represents Chapeau Events Ltd and it is recommended that you abide by his/her authority. By completing our registration form, you agree that if your behaviour is causing danger, or distress or annoyance to other members of the group, or if you commit any illegal act, we may terminate your participation without any liabilities on our part.
8.5. Both our cyclists and trekkers on our events are made up of a wide range of people over the age of 18 and we cannot guarantee any particular composition of people in terms of age, gender etc.
8.6. Chapeau Events Ltd responsibility begins at the arranged start time and date of the itinerary. Anyone who does not arrive in time for the start of the itinerary is responsible for any additional expenses occurred to catch up with the rest of the group.
8.7. We will provide you with advice with recommendations such as climate, clothing, special equipment and other information required for travelling to a particular country, however, this must be checked by you and not relied upon.
8.8. If you fail to use any service, features, hotel accommodation paid for within the event, we will offer no refund or compensation.
- Vaccinations, visas, medical and special requirements
9.1. All persons partaking in our events must take full responsibility for being sufficiently fit and healthy to complete their event. We may at times ask for doctor’s certificates and if you suffer from any condition which may affect your participation or the participation of others, you must let us know before you make your booking. Failure to do so means we may cancel your inclusion at any time.
9.2. Arrangements such as vaccinations, passports, visas and otherwise are your responsibility and we cannot accept liability if you fail to take vaccinations, do not have an up to date passport or do not obtain the appropriate visa before the start of your event. We will offer guidance for these if required and you should also consult with your GP for vaccinations, allowing enough time beforehand.
9.3. We do not have any restrictions for people partaking in our events with regard to disabilities, mobility problems or medical issues. However, before making a booking, it is important that if any particular requirements are needed, we are made aware so that we can discuss suitability and any reasonable adjustments. We may also ask you to be accompanied by someone who is able to provide you with care for any particular needs you may have.
9.4. Our support vehicles and guides carry basic first aid and if anything over and above this is required due to a condition you may have, please discuss this with us before making your booking. We may also need to carry out a risk assessment.
9.5. If you or any member of your party becomes ill with an infectious or contagious illness 4 weeks or less before your departure, you must tell us immediately.
9.6 Upon registration of any of our events, you agree to adhere to the latest Covid guidance provided by government and inform us immediately if you become ill with coronavirus or are asked to self-isolate by the track and trace system, withing ten days before or after the event. For 9.5 and 9.6 above, we have the right to:
9.6.1. Refuse to accept your booking;
9.6.2. Cancel your participation; or
9.6.3. If the event has already started, we may ask you or the affected member of your group to leave immediately if we feel it may affect the health of others.
10.1. We ask that all people partaking in a Chapeau Events Ltd event to be respectful of fellow participants, local people and customs and the culture of the country you are visiting. Behaviour should not be noisy or disruptive to others particularly at night-time. Any illegal behaviour will be reported to the police and you will be asked to leave the group immediately. We do not tolerate any kind of offensive behaviour or language directed at others or your crew and will ask you to leave the group if this occurs. Dangerous behaviour whether it causes a danger to yourself or others will not be tolerated and you will be asked to leave immediately. No refund or compensation will be given in these instances and we reserve the right to refuse future booking requests from you or any other member of your party in this circumstance.
Chapeau Events Ltd liability to you
11.1. If personal injury, death or damage to your property occurs due to our negligence or fault, there is nothing in these terms that seek to limit or exclude our liability.
11.2. Except for those areas for which we do not seek to exclude liability, our total liability to you is limited to twice the basic event price per person as shown on your booking confirmation and invoice.
11.3. Chapeau Events Ltd will not be liable for any losses that you suffer as a result of any breach of our agreement except those losses which are reasonably foreseeable to both of us at the time we enter into the contract with you. Other than this liability which we have accepted,
11.4. We shall not be held liable for any damages caused by the total or partial failure to provide your event if such failure is:
11.4.1. Attributable to you; or
11.4.2. Unforeseeable or unavoidable and attributable to a third party unconnected with us or any of our sub-contractors; or
11.4.3. As a result of unusual and unforeseeable circumstances beyond our control including but not limited to strikes, threatened or actual war, civil or political unrest, government action, riots, terrorist activity, natural or nuclear disaster, adverse weather conditions disease or fire; or
11.4.4. Due to the theft of bicycles or injury as a result of cycling/trekking either on or off road/route and in particular injuries that are sustained as a result of either inadequately maintained and serviced personal equipment or failure to wear the correct safety equipment most notably suitable footwear or cycle helmets, unless demonstrably due to our negligence.
11.5. In addition, since the services are provided to you as a consumer, we cannot accept responsibility for any losses related to any business of yours such as lost data, lost profits, loss of business, loss of contracts, loss of goodwill or other business loss that you may incur as a result of any breach of our agreement.
11.6. We will also not be liable for direct damage or loss of any nature caused, or contributed to, by any defect in or failure (whether partial or complete) of any travel services not provided by us, and which we could not reasonably be expected to be responsible for.
- Complaint procedure
12.1. Any complaints you may have during your event should be made directly to the crew leader. He/she will then take appropriate action. If, at the end of your event, you feel that your complaint was not dealt with to your satisfaction, you must write to us or email us within 28 days of the end date of your Chapeau event and we will take the matter further.
- Event details and information
Please note that all information given about our events on our website or otherwise, is intended merely to present a general idea of the event experience. Information is correct to the best of our knowledge. You will be provided with joining instructions for your event giving details such as, the type of accommodation used, what is included in the price, passport and visa requirements. Changes in all of these items may be made at any time and we will notify you of any changes that we become aware of as soon as we are reasonably able to do so.
- Your safety and belongings
14.1. Please note that bicycles are particularly vulnerable to theft, and your baggage and belongings (including items that you have hired or otherwise) are your own responsibility. You further accept responsibility to damage and theft of all luggage and bicycles when in transit from one destination to another, unless the cause is due to negligence of Chapeau Events Ltd.
14.2. It is imperative that you follow any safety advice given to you by the group leader during your event; this is not only for your own safety but also for the safety of others. This includes wearing a suitable regulated standard cycle helmet at all times. A suitable cycle helmet as described is a necessity for all our cycling events, as too is suitable clothing and footwear on all our trekking events and you may not be allowed to partake if you don’t comply.
14.3. We do not allow the following items on our events: shotguns, knives, firearms, air weapons, archery equipment, fireworks or illegal substances.
15.1. We use a range of accommodation providers for our overnight stays. By booking, you agree to abide by the providers own terms and conditions for which they accept guests.
15.2. Any equipment or facilities that you use should be kept clean and tidy. We reserve the right to charge you for any damage, missing items or extra cleaning required.
15.3. We reserve the right to enter your accommodation at any time for any reasonable purpose, e.g. to make checks, or carry out essential inspection, maintenance work, housekeeping or repairs.
15.4. We reserve the right to use different equipment to that which is described on our website or otherwise
15.5. Please ensure that any equipment and baggage that you bring is properly maintained, marked and insured. We will take reasonable care when transporting your property and equipment, however we are not responsible for any damage caused by a third party unconnected with the provision of the services contracted for, whether such damage is caused during the event or whilst the equipment is being transported.
- Compensation payable by you
16.1. By making a booking with Chapeau Events Ltd you agree that we have the right either during, or after your event, to recover from you the costs of:
16.1.1. Any compensation we may pay to others, including others on the tour, resulting from your acts or omissions; and/or
16.1.2. Any damage you have made to property, equipment or accommodation any property
16.2. Any other charges, fees or levies we may incur resulting from your action or inaction and from any breach of these conditions.
- General conditions
17.1. These terms and conditions may only be waived by one of our directors in writing.
17.2. These booking conditions are governed by English law and both you and we agree to submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
17.3. We may transfer and / or assign its rights and / or its obligations under these terms and conditions. This will not affect your rights under this contract. You may not transfer any of your rights or obligations under these terms and conditions without our prior written consent, which we may not unreasonably withheld.
17.4. You are responsible for the supervision and welfare of all members of your party under the age of 18.
17.5. If either you or we breach this contract and the party not in breach ignores this, the party not in breach will still be entitled to use its rights and remedies at a later date.
17.6. If any part of these terms and conditions is unenforceable (including any provision in which our liability to you is excluded) the enforceability of any other part of these terms and conditions will not be affected.
17.7. A person who is not a party to this contract has no right under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 to enforce any term of this contract, but this does not affect any right or remedy of a third party that exists or is available apart from that Act.
- Optional Extras (e.g. Bike Hire, Bike Boxes and Garmin hire)
18.1. If you wish to hire any equipment or optional extras, you must request these in advance. We will endeavour to meet your request and will confirm each booking once we have received payment from you.
18.2. The equipment, including all accessories supplied is let out on a hire basis. The equipment remains our property and you will not sell, hire out or otherwise part with the possession thereof.
18.3. You agree to return all equipment and accessories in the same condition as to when you received it (except for wear and tear). We reserve the right to charge you for any damage caused by your act or omission. In the event that the equipment does not work, other than a result of your misuse, we will endeavour to repair the equipment.
18.4. In the event of the equipment being stolen or lost, we reserve the right to call upon you to indemnify us for the cost of the replacement of the equipment. However, should the equipment subsequently be returned in a satisfactory condition, we will refund you within 14 days.
18.5. You must ensure that the equipment is adequately locked or secured when not in use and to not use the equipment whilst under the influence of alcohol or drugs and immediately notify us in the event of the breakdown or loss of the equipment.
18.6. We may use a third party to facilitate the optional extra services; in such cases we will be clear and transparent about this. Upon accepting these services, you are agreeing to the third party’s terms and conditions.
Chapeau Events Ltd
Company Reg. No: 09441935
18 East Moor, Worsley,
Telephone: 07541 421381 or 07852 716766
Directors: David Wright, Michelle Carrison, David McAllister